Dean Trevor Young and Temerty Medicine’s Office of Inclusion and Diversity hosted a special evening addressing antisemitic student quotas maintained by the Faculty in the mid-20th century.
Reflecting on Historic Jewish Student Quotas in Toronto Medical Education
Thursday September 29, 2022
This intimate in-person event – held in the traditional 10 days of repentance between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur – included a research presentation, a panel discussion, and remarks from the Dean and hospital leaders from the Toronto Academic Health Science Network recognizing historic as well as contemporary issues of antisemitism.
Jewish Doctors, Antisemitism, and the Restrictive Quota System at the University of Toronto's Faculty of Medicine
Further reading and resources
If you would like to learn more, or if you are looking for support in processing the information shared in this presentation, please visit some of the resources listed here. The Office of Inclusion & Diversity is also available to connect with anyone who would like to discuss further.
- Berkeley Hillel - Antisemitism Education (video)
- City of Toronto - Confronting Antisemitism (webpage)
- Hillel U of T (webpage)
- No Silence on Race & Ontario Jewish Archives - Periphery exhibit and documentary (multimedia)
- Diversity Dialogue: Irwin Cotler on Contemporary Antisemitism (video)
- Response to U of T’s Anti-Semitism Working Group Report (webpage)
- Wellness Resource for Students (webpage)
University of Toronto
- Anti-Racism & Cultural Diversity Office (ARCDO) (webpage)
- Students, staff and faculty can connect with ARCDO to report or express concerns about antisemitic incidents on campus.
- Antisemitism Working Group (webpage)
- Multi-Faith Centre - Directory of Chaplains (webpage)
- A list of Jewish chaplains can be found midway on the page.
- Report of the University of Toronto Anti-Semitism Working Group (PDF document)